keskiviikko 28. marraskuuta 2012

Stuffing boxes and other technical thoughts...


As I was doing final cleaning in the boat in anticipation for the coming blizzard and subzero temperatures I had a closer look at the stuffing boxes and was wondering if I need to do some work there.  Since this is my first shaft drive boat I'm slightly puzzled what happened here. 


It looks like I have either been too liberal in using the greaser for this box or then there is a huge gap developed suddenly since I don't remember seeing this during the season.  That stuff is prop shaft grease oozing out from the box. Should I just wipe the stuff out and use less grease in the next season or is there a need to open the nuts and have a look?

Well, it seems that it's all fine, all I have been instructed to do is to tighten the grease leaking one a bit and be more conservative while pushing grease into the stuffing box..

The other box seems fine and by the looks of it there seems to be enough reserve for future adjustments in both of these.


The greasers are located conveniently under the rear seats so it's easy to turn them nice and snug after each drive.  I try to remember to grease the boxes if we are driving form more than few hours while still on the move.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti