maanantai 5. elokuuta 2013

Brand new VHF...

After I got my VHF license and my new MMSI number it was time to check if it would be possible to get the unit reprogrammed without sending it to Sweden... It wasn't.. So off to the shops.

After extensive googling and thinking what kind of unit I would need I decided to put all bets in safety. So I got the "new" model form Standard horizon that has the built in GPS. In the previous system we had the DSC gps signal coming from the plotter and this setup required both the VHF and plotter to be on and since the connection was with a very small wire (that had previously already detached itself) the inbuilt GPS seemed like a good bet.

The EXPLORER GPS (GX1700) 

The installation was a breeze, all that was needed was to cut the original hole slightly larger to get the new unit fit. It was good change to get my multitool out and do some creative cutting. Naturally it was again around 22:00 hours and the sound attracted some attention...




There we have it. New unit installed, no old NMEA spec wires to connect nothing but simplicity and the unit works like a charm. The biggest difference is that when compared to the old is that this unit does not feel like a toy...

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti